DAILY TRAVEL COSTS AUSTRALIA, NEW-ZEALAND AND SOUTH-EAST ASIA
I would not want to have missed our 6 months of travelling for the world. It was the greatest experience in my life so far and if time and money ever allows me, I would take a plane and do it all over again somewhere else.
Travelling in Australia and NZ is expensive so you better save up before leaving. Travelling in SE Asia is a lot cheaper of course. Here is an overview of our daily travel costs to give you an idea.
Travel route: Sydney – Darwin – Alice Springs – Adelaide – Melbourne
Travel time: 28 days (12/09/2010 – 10/10/2010). This is the first part of our stay in Australia. I did not include our stay in Melbourne and my mother’s visit. I believe the first part is the most representative to calculate daily travel costs.
Daily travel cost: 92,1AUD pp pd (€72 pp pd, incl only domestic flights)
- Average cost for accomodation (16n in hostels, 4n campings, 3n free camping and 5n couchsurfing): 16,3 AUD pp
- Average cost hostel: 25,3 AUD pp
- Average cost camping: 13,25 AUD pp
- Average cost free camping: 0 AUD pp
- Average cost couchsurfing: one meal for the host
- Average cost for food, drinks and travel necessities (eg. sunscreen): 16,8 AUD pp
- Average cost for transport: 50,7 AUD pp
= o.a. domestic plane and bus tickets, few days of car rental and 5 days camper van rental to explore the Northern Territory and drive from Alice Springs to Adelaide (using a cheap relocation deal, regular camper van rental is way more expensive). Incl. gas.
- Average cost on internet en phone: AUD 2,3 pp
Travel route: Around the south island
Travel time: 22 days (20/11/2010 – 12/12/2010)
Daily travel cost: 147 NZD pp pd (€89,1 excl. plane tickets). 173,2 NZD pp pd (€105 pp pd, incl plane tickets).
- Average cost for accomodation (1n in a hostel, 12n on campings, 8n free camping and 1n hotel): 10,9 NZD pp
- Average cost hostel: 28,5 NZD pp
- Average cost camping: 13,0 NZD pp
- Average cost free camping: 0 NZD pp
- Average cost hotel: 54,5 NZD pp
- Average cost for food, drinks and travel necessities (eg. laundry, gas bottles): 17,5 NZD pp
- Average cost for transport: 87,0 NZD pp
= plane and bus tickets (retour Melbourne-Christchurch) and 21 days camper rental (incl. gas).
- Average cost on internet en phone: 1,1 NZD pp
- Average cost for tours and entrance tickets: 51,7 NZD pp
= 5 tours (incl. flight over Mount Cook, rafting, dolphin swimming, Doubtful Sound, 1 day Franz Josef trekking) and some smaller attractions
- Average cost on extra’s (e.g. hairdresser) and unforseen costst (allergic reaction Sanne to sandflies): 5 NZD pp
Travel route: city centre and little India
Travel time: 4 days (14/02/2011 – 16/02/2011 and 10/03/2011 – 12/03/2011)
Daily travel cost: 31,2 EUR pp pd (excl plane tickets)
Travel route: Phnom Penh – Kep – Siem Reap – Phnom Penh
Travel time: 8 days (16/02/2011 – 24/02/2011)
Daily travel cost: 28,4 EUR pp pd (excl plane tickets)
Travel route: Ho Chi Minh – Hoi An – Hanoi – Sapa – Halong Bay
Travel time: 14 days (24/02/2011 – 10/03/2011)
Daily travel cost: 37,8 EUR pp pd (excl plane tickets)
This includes our tailer made clothes in Hoi An and sending the package to Belgium.